01 January 2010

Dread

Continuing to process my experiences in Iraq.

From my journal last year--

Lord, I know fear-it's that tight feeling in my chest when I hear a rocket come in. This is different. I think this is dread-it's like a heavy blanket upon me. There is value in fear. I'm not sure dread is good for anything.

In a quick look in your word, it falls on the animals after the flood, and it falls on your enemies. Doesn't seem like something I should have to deal with.

I was reminded of this morning in Psalm 64. "Hear my voice, O God, in my complaint; preserve my life from dread of the enemy. Hide me from the secret plots of the wicked, from the throng of evildoers. (verses 1-2)

There is only one we should fear. "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell." Matthew 10:28

Learning this truth helped me hang on in Iraq. It helps put a lot of life in perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment