08 March 2011

Great Quote

In case you travel in different circles that I do on Facebook, it may have escaped your notice that Rob Bell is coming out with a new book and he did a little promo video for it that has thrown matches and gasoline on the Christian blog world. (Serioulsy, I've heard a whole lot more on this than on Charlie Sheen's current fiasco.)

But, I am not posting to comment on Bell's book, theology, or marketing. No reason to kick the dead horse.

What I want to highlight is a fantastic quote by Matt Kennedy over at http://www.standfirminfaith.com/
The quote comes from a piece he wrote addressing the "Bell Controversy."

The duty of the pastor is not to invite his congregation (and certainly not the general public) to join him as he meanders through his own personal journey of self discovery. His duty is to lead people to Jesus Christ.

I wrote it down. I am trying to figure out the best way to hang it near my desk where my sermon preparation happens. It is true and it needs to be said in this day and age.

This is not to say that ministers have to have all the answers (we don't). BUT, when we stand up to declare the word of the Lord, we need to speak with authority, conviction, and certainty. This isn't to say that we can't use a Socratic style in delivering a message. I am prone to that. But to wander down a path with our hearers that leads nowhere is nothing short of dereliction of duty.

We've all heard those sermons. Most of us have preached a few (forgive me, Lord). But our duty is to speak the word of life to the people of God. Nothing less.

(Here's the link to the article I took the quote from, if you're interested.)

No comments:

Post a Comment